What is a Laser Welding Machine
Laser welding, or laser beam welding, is a new type of welding method using laser technology. The laser welding machine can realize welding processes such as spot welding, butt welding, overlap welding, and sealing welding for thin materials. This laser beam welding method has the advantages of small welding seam width, small heat-affected zone, small deformation, fast welding speed, smooth welding seam, and high welding seam quality. The welded parts require no or little further treatment, which is conducive to the manufacturing of other equipment or machinery.
How does a laser welding machine work?
The laser welding equipment uses high-energy laser pulses to locally heat a small area of the material. The energy from the laser radiation diffuses through the heat conduction to the interior of the material, melting the material and forming a specific melt pool.
As a direction of laser technology applications, a laser welding machine is a combination of technology and traditional technology. The laser welder has high power density and fast release energy, and its processing efficiency is higher than traditional welding. The small laser spot after focusing ensures better adhesion of the two welding materials. So it will not affect the surface and cause material damage or deformation. After the welding is completed, there is no need for secondary processing of the weld.
The appearance of laser beam welding is a big stride in welding technology. It can weld multiple metal materials perfectly. The CNC laser welding machine has wide applications in electronics, automotive, instrument, military, and medical fields.
The continuous upgrading of laser welding machines and their increasing accuracy are crucial in the future of processing.
Common types of laser welding machines
A laser welding machine is also called laser cold welder, laser argon welding machine, laser welding equipment, etc.
The laser welding equipment can be divided into the fiber laser welding machine, YAG laser welding machine, semiconductor laser welder, etc, according to the laser source. Among them, the fiber laser welder has the widest applications and the most precise effects.
Based on the energy output methods of the laser, the laser welding machine for sale includes pulse laser welding and continuous laser welding machines. The former one is mainly for welding thin metal sheets. The pulse laser welding machine is mainly for the spot welding and stitch welding of thin metal sheets. The laser radiation heats the surface of the workpiece and diffuses into the material through thermal conduction. By controlling parameters such as the waveform, width, peak power, and repetition frequency of the laser pulse, a good connection is formed between the workpieces. The biggest advantage of pulse laser welding is small temperature rise, small heat-affected area, and less deformation. However, the continuous laser welder for sale mainly heat up, melt, and weld the workpieces by fiber lasers or semi-conductor lasers. Its laser output is continuous without interruption.
According to the control method, the laser welding machine falls into the handheld laser welding machine and automatic laser welding machine.
The fiber laser welding machine falls into two types, namely, pulse fiber laser welder and continuous fiber laser welder. The former welding machine can adjust the single point energy of the pulse by setting the peak power, frequency, and pulse width. While the latter adjusts the laser output power by setting the average laser power.
What is a handheld laser welding machine?
The handheld laser welder replaces the previous fixed optical path with a handheld welding gun. It has the advantages of flexible welding, convenient operation, and long welding distance. The handheld laser welder is mainly for laser welding of long-distance and large workpieces. The laser welding machine has a small heat-affected area, which will not cause work deformation, blackening, and traces on the back. Moreover, laser welding also has a large welding depth and sufficient melting effect.
Processing characteristics of handheld laser welding machine:
- A handheld laser welding machine uses a hand-held welding gun to overcome the limitation of workbench space.
- The fixed welding head can rotate in all directions, which overcomes the inconvenience of the traditional welding head rotating in one direction.
- The handheld welding head is equipped with five meters of imported optical fiber, which is flexible and convenient for outdoor welding.
- The operation mode of the hand-held welding gun can weld any part of the workpiece at any angle.
- It can do dual-light path intelligent switching, and the time-sharing light energy is evenly distributed.
- It is suitable for spot welding of various complicated welding seams and various devices.
What is an automatic laser welding machine?
The automatic laser welding machine accurately controls the width, energy, peak power and repetition frequency of the laser pulse through digitalization to melt the workpiece to form a specific molten pool, to realize the laser welding of the workpiece. And it can complete the precision that cannot be achieved by the traditional welding process.
Features of automatic laser welding machine:
- An automatic laser welding machine can realize spot welding, butt welding, stitch welding, sealing welding and other welding methods for thin-walled materials and precision parts.
- It has features such as large laser power, high weld aspect ratio, small heat affected area, small deformation, and fast welding speed.
- The weld quality is high, smooth and beautiful without porosity. Besides, the toughness of the material after welding is at least equivalent to the parent material.
- With the humanized design, LCD screen display, and centralized button, the operation of an automatic laser welding machine is easier.
- The four-dimensional ball screw workbench adopts imported servo control system and optional rotary workbench, which can realize automatic welding such as spot welding, linear welding, circumferential welding, etc. It has a wide application range, high precision and fast speed.
- The current waveform of a laser welding machine can be adjusted arbitrarily, and different waveforms can be set according to the different welding materials, so that the welding parameters and welding requirements can be matched to achieve satisfactory welding results.
Composition of a CNC laser welding machine
The main part of a fiber laser welding machine mainly includes the laser generator, optical path, power supply, control system, and other major parts.
It is used to cool the laser generator during the laser beam welding process. Most laser welding equipment adopts a 1kW-1.5kW water chiller to conduct the cooling function.
In a CNC automatic welding machine, the laser beam moves based on the path programmed by the computer to realize the automatic welding function. However, a handheld laser welding gun is used to manually weld the workpieces for the handheld laser welder.
There are generally three types of moving methods:
- Fixed laser head, movable workpiece;
- Fixed workpiece, movable laser head;
- Movable laser head and workpiece.
The entire system of an automatic laser welder controls the welding process by CNC programming. In addition, the programming system has been simplified to make operation easier. Operators can quickly master the laser welding machine operation without professional skills or education.
The fixture is used to fix the workpieces during the laser welding process. It shall be able to fix and remove repeatedly to facilitate automatic laser welding. Therefore, the fixture is indispensable for an automatic laser welding machine, especially in mass production. Fixing of the workpieces also has an influence on the work efficiency and finished product ratio.
Major parameters of the fiber laser welding machine for sale
|Model ||Automatic laser welder, handheld laser welder |
|Laser source ||Fiber laser |
|Laser power ||1000W, 1500W, 2000W |
|Laser Wavelength ||1080nm |
|Melt depth ||0.5-3.0mm |
|Cooling system ||Water chiller |
|Laser welding machine price ||$5,000 to $20,000 |
What is the laser welding machine price?
The handheld laser welder price ranges from $5000 to $15000. The laser welding machine cost of an automatic laser welder ranges from $8,000 to $20,000 on average. In addition, similar to other CNC machines, the laser welding machine price also depends on many factors. For example, laser type, laser power, specifications, etc. The fiber laser welding machine price is higher than that of the other type of laser welding machines with the same power. Besides, a 2000W fiber laser welder machine is more expensive than the 1000W laser welding machine price. Generally, the factors that affect the laser welding machine cost mainly include the following aspects.
1.Laser source and power
The laser is the core part of a CNC laser welding machine. Laser welding machines with different laser sources have distinct laser welder prices. In addition, the higher the laser power, the higher the laser welding machine price. Accordingly, the requirements for the cooling system are higher.
The configuration of laser welding machines for different purposes is different. For example, mold laser welder, jewelry laser welder for sale, automatic galvanometer laser welding machine, fiber laser welder, etc. With different configurations, the laser welding machine cost is naturally different.
Furthermore, the automatic laser welder cost is higher than the manual laser welding machine price with the same specifications. Some customers may require certain custom functions, which also increases the laser welding machine cost. For example, adding automatic fixtures, refitting the worktable, adding other functional accessories, etc.
The brand or laser welding machine manufacturer also affects its price. Well-known laser welding machine manufacturer usually provides high-quality machines to maintain customers and create a good reputation. Besides, they also have mature technology, fixed part suppliers, and complete after-sales service. So we recommend buying your laser beam welding machine from a famous or big-brand manufacturer.
Advantages and disadvantages of a fiber laser welder compared with other traditional welding methods
- Laser welding machine is fast, deep, and with little deformation. Due to the high power density, the laser welding process generates small holes in the metal material. So the laser energy is transmitted through these holes to the deeper part of the workpiece and is less likely to spread laterally. As a result, a large area is welded per unit of time during one scan of the laser beam.
- The laser beam welding machine has a large depth-to-width ratio, small heat-affected zone, and small welding deformation. It is especially suitable for welding precise and heat-sensitive parts. What’s more, laser welding can eliminate post-welding shaping and secondary processing.
- The fiber laser welder for sale can be operated under room temperature or special conditions. It has a strong ability to endure high temperature and high moisture conditions.
- It can weld refractory materials, such as titanium, etc. Besides, the laser welder can weld materials of different nature, with good results, such as copper and tantalum.
- Industrial laser welding machines can perform micro-welding. The laser beam can be focused into a very small spot and can be precisely positioned. So laser beam welding equipment is widely used in the mass automated production of micro and small components welding. It significantly improves work efficiency and product quality and the welded joint is free of pollution.
- It is possible to weld inaccessible parts and perform non-contact long-distance welding with great flexibility by a laser welding machine.
- Generally no filler metal is added. If adequately protected by an inert gas, the weld is not contaminated by the atmosphere.
- Laser welding system has great flexibility, especially the handheld laser welder and portable laser welding machine.
- It requires high accuracy of weld assembly and the position of the beam on the workpiece must not be significantly shifted. If the workpiece assembly accuracy or beam positioning accuracy does not meet the requirements, it is easy to cause welding defects.
- The cost of the laser generator and laser welding system is relatively high, so the initial investment is high.
- For a hand held welding machine, the operator needs to hold the welding gun all the time. This will cause fatigue after long-time work. So the handheld laser welder for sale is not suitable for massive production and welding of large workpieces.
Industry application of a laser welder
With the continuous development of science and technology, traditional welding methods can no longer meet the special requirements for welding materials. However, the laser welding machine can realize spot welding, butt welding, stitch welding, sealing welding with better precision and effect. It has the advantages of small weld width, small heat affected zone, small deformation, fast welding speed, smooth weld, no post-welding treatment, and weld quality. Besides, the laser welding equipment also has high precision control and high positioning accuracy, and is easy to achieve automatic production. Therefore, laser welding machines are widely used in mobile communication, electronic components, glasses and clocks, jewelry, hardware products, precision instruments, auto parts, craft gifts, and other industries.
Sanitary appliance: welding of water pipe quick coupling, connectors, tee-junction, stop valves, sprinklers, etc.
Glasses manufacturing: precision processing and welding of glass snap structures and frame edges made of stainless steel, aluminum alloy, etc.
Hardware: welding of complex hardware stamping parts such as fan impellers and handles, and cast iron parts.
Machinery manufacturing: welding of engine cylinder gaskets, hydraulic tappets, spark plugs, filter cores, etc.
Medical equipment: welding of stainless steel parts and seals of medical devices and equipment.
Electron devices: intermittent welding of small relays, welding of radio-frequency connectors, welding of mobile phone electron elements, fiber optic adapter connectors, etc.
Household appliance, kitchenware: welding of door handles, clocks, sensors, communication devices, electronics, crafts, etc.
When to choose a laser welding machine
We now have known the working principle, advantages, and applications of the laser beam welding machine. But there are also other welding machines that are cheaper and can do the same work as the laser welding machines. Then when should we choose a laser welder rather than other welding machines?
1. When there are specifications for the welding results
Laser welding methods have narrow weld seams and smooth welding surfaces, requiring no welding raw materials.
2. When the products require high-level automated control
The whole welding process can be controlled by CNC programming without any human interference.
3. When you need to weld workpieces under room temperature or special conditions
The laser welding machine is easy to operate and can start or stop welding at room temperature or under special conditions.
4. When it requires to weld inaccessible parts
Laser welding equipment can be used to weld the position that is hard to access. It can conduct non-contacting remote welding, which is very sensitive. Laser welders have gradually replaced other machines in welding precision parts.
How to choose a laser welding machine
I. Make sure if the laser welding method is suitable for your products.
You need to make sure that your products can be welded by a laser welder. Nowadays, most laser welding equipment manufacturers provide free sampling services. So be sure to let the supplier make samples to confirm if the laser welding equipment can meet your requirements.
II. Consider what types of laser welders you should choose.
There are mainly two types of laser welding machines, automatic and manual. In the automatic process, four-axis linkage automatic laser welding machine, fiber automatic laser welding machine, optical fiber galvanometer laser welding machine have been made according to different process requirements. In manual mode, laser welding machines for molds, laser jewelry spot welding machines, special laser welding machines for advertising characters, etc. are made according to different processing requirements.
III. Choose the suitable configuration.
After determining the machine type, you need to select appropriate specifications for the machine according to your processing requirements. For example, choose a suitable working table size, laser power, cooling system, etc.
IV. Find a good laser welding machine manufacturer.
As we mentioned before, good manufacturers intend to provide good-quality machines. Besides, they often use famous spare and accessory parts. This also helps ensure the good quality of the products. A good laser welding machine supplier also provides complete and timely after-sales services.
Always remember your budget. Buying from a foreign supplier may cause extra costs to the laser welding machine cost. For example, shipping fees, taxes, etc. While buying a domestic brand may be convenient for after-sales service and cost less. So you need to buy the most suitable machine within your budget.
How to operate a laser welder
The following steps apply to the start and shutdown operations of a laser beam welding machine. Specific operating procedures may vary depending on the machine model.
1. Preparations before turning on the steel laser welding machine
Check the power supply and water circulation system;
Check if all parts and components are connected properly;
Make sure there is no dust, oil stain, or grease in the working area.
2. Switch on the laser welder for sale
Connect the power supply and turn on the main switch;
Turn on the water chiller and laser generators successively;
Open argon gate valve to adjust the total atmospheric flow rate;
Set the major parameters and conduct the laser welding operation.
3. Shutdown of the protable laser welder
Exit the program and shut down the laser generator;
Shut down the dust remover, water chiller, and other devices successively;
Close the argon gate value;
Cut off the power supply.
Common faults and troubleshooting of a fiber laser welding machine
Fault 1: Black weld seam during the welding processTroubleshooting:
- You may forget to supply inert gas to protect the weld pool. Try to connect the supply of the inert gas.
- The airflow direction of protection gas is wrong. You need to keep the airflow direction of the protection gas opposite to the movement direction of the workpiece.
Fault 2: Cracks occur during laser beam weldingTroubleshooting:
- The workpiece cooling speed is too fast. Try to raise the temperature of the cooling water on the fixture.
- There are too large tolerance clearance or burrs on the workpiece. Try to improve the working accuracy of the laser welding systems.
- Insufficient cleaning of the workpiece. Please clean the workpiece properly.
- Too large flow rate of the protection gas. Try to reduce the protection gas flow rate.
Fault 3: Insufficient welding depth of the industrial welding machine for saleTroubleshooting:
- Not enough laser energy. Try to increase the pulse width and current of the laser welding machine.
- Wrong defocusing distance. Adjust the defocusing distance to be closer to the focal position.
Fault 4: Weak laser beam during the welding operationTroubleshooting:
- The light brake does not fully open. Check and apply lubricant to the light brake to make it work smoothly.
- The main beam path laser shifts. Try to adjust the main optical path full-reflection and semi-reflection films, and use the image paper to check and adjust the light spot.
- The cooling water is contaminated or not replaced for a long time. Replace the cooling water for the laser welding machine.
- The laser fails to output from the center of the copper nozzle under the focusing head. Adjust the related reflective film and make the laser beam output directly from the nozzle center.
- The focusing lens or the resonator diaphragm of the laser is damaged or polluted. Remember to replace or clean in time.
You can refer to the above solutions if similar troubles happen. But when you can’t solve the failures by yourself, please consult with your laser welding machine manufacturer.
Precautions for using a handheld fiber laser welding machine
- Remember to wear protective glasses, musk, and protective suit to ensure the safety of operators and production.
- Do not use the portable laser welding machine in the same room as the arc welding machine or electric welding machine to prevent current backflow from affecting laser components.
- Do not aim the welding gun of the hand held welding machine to any body part or put it on the ground. Keep the welding gun clean.
- The bending radius of the optical fiber corrugated tube should not be less than 20cm during a welding process, so as not to burn the optical fiber.
- Press the emergency stop button in case of any incidents.
- Do not place flammable and explosive materials on the laser beam path or where the laser beam can be irradiated to avoid fire and explosion.
- Press “stop” to keep the handheld laser welding machine on standby in case of temporary shutdown; press “stop” and cut off the power supply when getting off work.
- Frequently check if the water situation in the water chiller meets standards. Clean the filter screen and replace the water on a regular basis.
- Pay attention to the water temperature of the water chiller for the laser welding machine. We recommend setting the water temperature as 26℃ - 30℃ in summer and 20℃- 22℃ in winter. The excessive cabinet temperature difference will cause condensation on the laser device, resulting in damage to the laser. So, antifreeze measures must be taken when the room temperature for a laser welding machine is lower than 4℃.